America ‒ Love it
or GTF out!
Mold for Good
Everybody who owns a house cringes at the word "mold".
Everybody who is looking to buy a house won't even consider
a purchase if the word "mold" is mentioned. Why? because
people don't understand how to get rid of it, and they hear
horror stories from people who are "allergic" to mold.
Horse-shit! Yes, mold, if inhaled, can cause serious
respiratory problems. You'll (also) get serious respiratory
problems if you inhale flour, talcum powder, cayenne pepper,
cinnamon powder, or any number of common household things.
suspect that that spot on the wall is mold, it will cost you
more to find out (from an "expert") than it would
it's mold and kill it.
I trust contractors as far as I could spit up-wind in a
just assume the worst and launch an all-out
assault on the bugger and be done with it..
NOTE: it is common to confuse
Efflorescence with mold. Maybe I did. However, after reading all of
the online articles I could on the subject, not having a
microscope, and not being a microbiologist, I still wasn't
sure if what I was looking at was mold, or if it was, what kind of mold it was.... so if I was going
to make a mistake, I was going to err on the side of
caution; if it looks
like mold, it could
be mold, and if
that's the case then it's alive, and I have to
by whatever means are at my disposal. I'm a Vietnam
War Veteran, and I believe in the adage
all and let God sort 'em
said, the following illustrated dissertation is how I
decided to handle the problem of what
appeared to be mold in
WARNING ‒ DANGER:
PROVIDE VERY GOOD VENTILATION.
STUFF IS ENOUGH TO KNOCK A BUZZARD OFF A SHIT-WAGON
Use chlorine granules....
Breathing this stuff ‒ either the solution (dissolved
in water) or the powder
from the granules ‒
especially the powder ‒ will
you, or at the very least, make you
This stuff produces an
USE a dust mask moistened with grapefruit juice to avoid
breathing mold spores, and kill the ones that land on the
mask. ALWAYS have a spotter working with or observing you.
don't play games with bugs; especially microscopic ones that I can't see that
threaten to eat my house and kill me.
The first order of business was to
scrape literally POUNDS of gooey stuff off the walls (where
orange arrow in
the above photo shows). After all the
loose stuff that was on the walls was swept up and disposed
of (see photo below), I mixed up an especially strong bleach solution using
1/2 cup of
Granular Pool Chlorine
in 1 gallon of warm water. Allow the solution to sit in a
strong plastic container (I use an empty Arizona Tea gallon
OUTSIDE THE HOUSE
for a day or two (pressure may burst the container, so leave
a bit of air ‒ about 3 inches from the top) to allow for
OFF all pilot lights, water heaters, stoves, and electrical
appliances. DO NOT flip any switches or use power tools of
ANY sort (battery powered or AC powered). If possible, do
this on a humid day to avoid creating electrostatic sparks.
you open the container with the mixture, make sure you are up-wind. There may
be pressure and a release of very strong chlorine gas. If
you get a strong whiff of it, you may find yourself on a lung donor
love the smell of Napalm in the morning...... smells
this ain't exactly Napalm, but I guarantee whatever germ,
microbe, pathogen, virus, or other living thing you douse
with this stuff.... whatever it is, it will definitely NOT survive.
way: Two tablespoons of this stuff in a gallon of water
makes BETTER Clorox® for washing clothes than you
buy in the stores at about 1/10th the price, and that's one
less gallon of stuff to schlep back home from the store.
photo shows about 4 pounds of dead (what I
presumed to be)
black mold spores (Stachybotrys)
that I scraped off the workshop walls (see the photo of the
workshop (above, with the
leave this stuff lying around,
and dispose of it
Avoid carrying an open or partially closed garbage bag of it through the
house on the way to the trash bin, to avoid contaminating
Whatever you do,
DO NOT use a Shop-Vac®
this stuff up (even if you believe it's dead). Mold, like
any micro-bug, can develop resistance to "pesticides", like
Gonorrhea developed resistance to Penicillin back in the
1960's. It will be your luck that the Shop-Vac®
(which doesn't have a
will exhaust a few billion Chlorine-resistant mold spores
that "survived" all over your house.... then what are you
gonna' use to kill it? A friggin'
the walls scraped clean of all the
alleged mold growth, and after I
turned off the (gas) water heater, I put my "killer"
chlorine solution into a pump-up garden weed sprayer, and
quickly but thoroughly wet down the cement blocks where the
was, and eight feet either side of it, from the ceiling to
the floor. I then went upstairs for a few hours, because
human lungs that get damaged by chlorine gas DO NOT get
"better". Just as I walked up the stairs, the explosive gas
detector went nuts.
a few days, the air in the basement was breathable again
without an Aqua Lung®, and I proceeded to
round up all the half cans of spray paint that the previous
owners left behind, and used them to completely drench the
cinder block, sealing the chlorine crystals into the blocks
(and stinking up the house again!). I let it dry for a few
days and air out with the window open. As a coup de etat',
I sprayed the paint job with mold spray that I bought at
Lowe's. I'm putting up walls, so I could care less what it
looks like behind the blue, mold-resistant sheetrock.
other side (caddy-corner) of the basement, moisture seeping
in due to heavy rains this year and a broken gutter
appeared to be
WHITE mold (Sclerotinia)
to grow. Close-up it looks like very fine cotton fuzz. It cleaned up easily with a
and the chlorine solution.
is what you need to get rid of "mold" the way I did it. Do
it right, and you'll never have to do it again
comments about this page?
send email to the Webmaster
‒ DO NOT CHANGE SUBJECT or I will not